Nothing is as exciting as bringing a new puppy into your home and welcoming them to your family. But, the joy of caring for an adorable puppy sometimes gets questioned as soon as the puppy starts having urine accidents on your floors.
Fortunately, you can train your puppy not to urinate inside your home with these 3 housetraining methods! When accidents happen as you’re housetraining, be sure to schedule a pet urine cleaning in Newport Beach, CA to make sure stains and smells don’t take over your home!
1. The Kennel/Crate Method
Perhaps you’ve already heard of crate or kennel training because it’s one of the most popular housetraining methods. Here’s are the steps that dog-owners typically use when crate training:
- Buy a crate or kennel that’s the appropriate size for your puppy. It should be big enough for your puppy to stand up and move around comfortably, but small enough that your puppy can’t relieve themselves inside.
- Next, add treats, toys, and even pillows to the crate to make it comfy and cozy.
- After that, say phrases like “let’s go,” “in your crate, ”or “inside” to help your puppy learn to go in and out of the crate.
- Set a specific time each day (normally at night or during your work hours) for your puppy to spend in the crate. *Make sure not to leave your puppy in the crate for extended periods of time, especially if you have a large or high energy breed.
- Take your puppy outside of the crate for a designated time and let them do their business outdoors. This will help your dog associate post-crate time with a bathroom break.
- Give your puppy a treat after they go to the bathroom so that they can associate this behavior with a positive reward.
2.The Schedule Method
The schedule method requires you to pay more attention to your puppy’s schedule and it also requires a bit more consistency on your part in comparison to the crate method. Here’s how to do it:
- Learn how frequently your puppy needs to use the bathroom and what times of the day they normally do their business. Typical bathroom break times are in the morning, after drinking or eating, before bedtime, and after being in their crate. *Younger puppies require more frequent bathroom breaks. As your puppy gets older, they can hold it for longer amounts of time.
- Next, take your puppy outside for around 5 minutes before each expected bathroom time.
- Praise and reward your puppy with toys, treats, and verbal appreciation when they go to the bathroom outside during this time. *Avoid negative reinforcement when your puppy has an accident inside. If you notice your puppy is about to have an accident, move them outdoors quickly. If they do have an accident inside your home and stains occur, book a pet urine cleaning in Newport Beach, CA to get them removed properly!
- As your puppy gets older, you’ll have to adjust their bathroom schedule.
3. The Puppy Pad Method
For the puppy pad method, you’ll need to buy puppy pee pads that absorb pet urine and protect your wood, tile, or carpet floors from urine stains. If this sounds like something you are interested in, here are the steps:
- Put the pee pad in a specific location in your home (preferably on tile or wood floor).
- Before your puppy’s expected bathroom time, take them to the pad to do their business.
- If your puppy tries leaving the area, keep bring them back to the pad until they relieve himself there. *Make sure to clean the area and replace the pee pad frequently.
- Give your puppy verbal praise or treats each time he uses the bathroom on the pad.
- After each time your puppy uses the bathroom, gradually move the pad closer toward the door.
- Eventually, take the pad outside and put it in a permanent location on the grass or wherever you like. Now your puppy has a precise place to do its business. *Make sure your puppy can go outside through a doggy door and easily access the pad.
Professional Pet Urine Cleaning in Newport Beach, California
Regardless of what method you use to housetrain your puppy, it’s essential to stick with this method and be consistent using it. Housetraining your puppy is a process, so accidents are bound to happen. Thankfully, Immaculate Home Chem-Dry of Orange County offers pet urine cleaning in Newport Beach, CA t
Schedule your pet urine cleaning in Newport Beach with Immaculate Home Chem-Dry of Orange County today and be sure to use our coupons for even more savings!